Cosmopolitan's Other Pool and Official Opening Date

I've posted some bird'eye view photos of Cosmos other pool and some new shots of the Bellagio side of the podium. The bird's-eye shots were taken from Vdara

The official (soft) opening date for Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas is December 15th, 2010.

An inside tipster told me that many of the interior plans have changed and are still changing. The casino was increased from 75,000 to 100,000 square feet, taking the space from the retail mall which shrunk from 300,000 to 275, 000 square feet. This is fine with me, heck, take some more. Do we really need more retail on the Strip?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 6/22/2010 12:03 PM Justin wrote:
    of course we still need more retail space on the strip, about 2 feet more
  • 6/22/2010 1:37 PM nsmlv wrote:
    The question I ask myself is, why more retail space? The only justification for that is that the casinos make money off of it, but really? do we need another Louis Vuitton, when there is one next door? And not even two casinos away?

The other thing is why weren't they able to buy that property the Jockey Club is on? Do you have any information as to why that hasn't happened?
  • 6/22/2010 1:42 PM Mark Adams VegasTaT wrote:
    The Jockey Club has over 20,000 owners. It's a timeshare. The logistics of 20,000 separate transactions is staggering and all it takes is one NIMBY to shut down the whole deal. Well, the JC has such a NIMBY, I forgot her name, she told me that she lives there full time and that the JC has been her home for over 20 years and no amount of money would make her sell.
    1. 7/14/2010 10:59 AM Daniel1313 wrote:
      If this happened in the 50's, someone would have been lost in the desert. As mentioned it only takes one to stop progress.
  • 6/23/2010 12:49 PM Mark Adams VegasTaT wrote:
    Just a P.S.

The soft opening is 12/15/2010
    The Grand Opening is 1/1/2011
  • 6/23/2010 6:49 PM Jim Yelnek wrote:
    I don't like the windows that jut out street side.
    I think they look like the builders had a hard time piecing them together. I'd like to read other peoples' comments.
    Jim
  • 6/24/2010 2:32 PM devron gibbon wrote:
    Mark, or anyone
    Hi. I'm suspecting the access to the balcony from the hotel rooms will be sealed. Can anyone answer this? I still think this is the worst looking structure on the strip. I just cannot understand how it could ever turn a profit. It has no sister resorts, therefore cannot cross promote, or be affilated with a loyality program. What demographic is it appealing too? I think they will have to rent the back tower to strip employees at $400 per month; and add laundry room to every other floor. On the unused balconies farm & sell fresh fruit & vegetablies.
    1. 6/25/2010 10:28 AM laguna wrote:
      Devron,
      Is that how they do things in Pahrump?
  • 6/25/2010 3:01 AM Jack wrote:
    More Retail, no, not really... If they do, then they should make it really themed for a new experience. I think a forest of trees, mountain resort like, inside a building would be amazing. Imagine walking from the desert heat into a beautiful cool forest, and yeah retail all throughout, casino etc... Of course I doubt they will do this, but I think it would be the most popular place ever. Vegas is too much city now, let's add some nature and people will love the contrast and be happy to spend big money. I for one love the indoor trees casinos have and would drop more dollars next to one.
  • 6/25/2010 9:54 AM Kyle wrote:
    This Cosmo will do fine. I think they need to shoot to be a mid-line resort personally. The Strip is full of too many new, uber-expensive hotels that normal people can't stay in (Aria, Wynn, Bellagio, etc.) If they came in at a lower price point, they have an awesome location and would do very well.

As for their foot traffic, they will get a ton. From what I've heard, the design directs people into the casino when they are walking from Bellagio to Aria, which is a very high foot traffic area. As far as the blaconies, I like them and think they add something new.
  • 6/25/2010 10:56 AM Chris wrote:
    I really believe that it is only a matter of time until MGM buys this property and it just becomes part of City Center. After a year or so of being open and not making much money, they will be able to buy it cheap.
  • 6/30/2010 1:30 PM parchedearth wrote:
    The strip frontage opens into the casino. There is only limited retail inside (i.e. no shopping mall).

The room balconies are accessible and they will even have lounging furniture.

Personally, I think the front windows and the pool areas are going to look great when finished. The room rates seem reasonable (especially for the suites). If DB can get an established partner like Hilton or Starwood to help cross-promote it could do very well.
  • 7/7/2010 8:06 PM Alyssa wrote:
    I'm new here but I'm an avid TripAdvisor poster. Cosmo just put up their website and this place is getting LOTS of bites/positive feedback on TA. All it takes is a decent opening with decent customer service and a working condo/room to give it good TA reviews. The problem with openings is they open too early and things aren't ready. They have to open on time and with amenities in place.
    Right now the bellagio fountain balcony views and high end bathrooms along with the splash of color (not seen at Aria) is getting good feedback on TA. Some on TA saw the site just today and booked immediately.
    If they play their cards right this place could be fighting for the likes of Wynn/Palazzo/Bellagio. None of which have the balconies/kitchens/microwave/fridge/coffee maker
    MANY people are trying to find a place on the strip with these amenities and so far it simply doesn't exist unless you go super high end (over 700/night) or head off strip to the likes of Platinum/Sig.
    I think this place might just corner an untapped market!
  • 7/13/2010 8:59 PM Brad wrote:
    To piggyback what Chris and Alyssa said, with what I presume will be way overpriced rooms, Cosmo is probably dead and doesn't even know it yet. It will probably be a huge flop, (moneywise) unless their pricepoint for rooms is perfect. Unfortunately, I see a bankruptcy within 6 months of opening. Then, I think Harrah's would be in a better place financially to buy than MGM, and they would love nothing more to have this property right next to CityCenter. I don't want to see it happen, but it's inevitable in this day and age.
    1. 7/18/2010 3:27 PM derek wrote:
      Deutsche Bank owns the Cosmo. If you are correct, the worlds second largest bank will go under according to your prediction.

Carrot Top needs a back-up, hurry and apply.
      1. 7/28/2010 9:07 PM Brad wrote:
        Derek, lol. Perhaps you could be Top's assistant.
        Have you been alive the last few years to see how many Banks/Automakers/etc have been going under. Maybe check on the ins and outs of Bankruptcy. Just because they file for bankruptcy deosn't mean they go out of business. Hell you are probably the CEO of one of these banks. Good Luck.
  • 7/22/2010 7:38 PM Sabrina wrote:
    I am a little confused about the set up bar wise. What I think I am seeing are two bars. A beach bar and a nightclub. Are these two separate entities or are they one and the same? Which "floors" are they on if they are separate and how separate are they? In other words are they attached if indeed there are two bars?
    Thanks.
  • 8/25/2010 2:42 PM Larry wrote:
    I'm a New Yorker and this hotel looks like it belongs in Manhattan, not in Las Vegas as there seems to be nothing to see from your room except more glass and concrete .
    Totally unappealing !
  • 9/16/2010 1:49 PM Chris wrote:
    Does anybody know about the parking situation? Did they end up putting in a guidance system? I heard that they were going to go cheap and use the same system that the Encore had and shut down because it was so bad. Has anyone seen the garage? I think that they have a very limited number of spaces for a very large building...and a lot of employees...which will take most of the spaces.

Page: 1 of 1