Vegas' Next Implosion - wha-wha-what!

Well, this gets filed (firmly) in the rumor department.

According to a reliable inside source, there are rumblings behind the scenes at CityCenter that the foreshortened The Harmon Hotel may be the star of the next major implosion in Vegas.

As most of you know, there was a big 'oops concerning the re-bar in the tower that wasn't discovered until the tower was way too big to fix. My guess is that no insurance company on the planet will touch The Harmon. So, the rumor goes on to say that The Harmon will be replaced with a fitness center and a (much needed) grocery store ($18.00 Pop-Tarts, anyone?).

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 11/4/2010 6:23 AM Ryan wrote:
    Grocery store and fitness center? Really? If Harmon goes, hey need to find a way to make that spot a grand strip-front entrance to Aria, rather than forcing people through Crystals.
  • 11/4/2010 8:41 AM Greg wrote:
    The rumor does make some sense--although it will be a difficult implosion to implement with all the surrounding structures that will need to be closed off and secured. Also, it makes good economic sense in that Vegas certainly does not need any additional rooms or condos--and the building's only purpose is exactly that. Should be interesting to see if this rumor proves true....(not to mention we are overdue for another implosion--it's been 3 years--long time for Vegas!)
  • 11/4/2010 5:59 PM zachary wrote:
    I think that Harmon is a cool building. That the building gets torn down will be sad.I think that the design and building would be a waste. Although the grocery store would be a good idea. Condo idea on the strip is not working well. It will be sad to see the harmon gone. I don't know about the fitness center.
  • 11/5/2010 12:31 AM why play casino online wrote:
    To replace a hotel with a grocery store? I see no sense in it.
  • 11/5/2010 9:34 AM Charlie wrote:
    I can't count the number of implosion rumors I've heard over the last few years. Tropicana, IP, Flamingo, Lady Luck, Harrah's, Bally's, Strat, Plaza, and on and on. Unless the Harmon is found to be unsafe, I can't see this actually happening. As always, time will tell, though.
  • 11/5/2010 10:09 AM BOB wrote:
    Like many I have followed the progress of CityCenter from its start to its present state as illustrated and described on VegasTaT. My initial
    impression was that this complex is an ugly eyesore and an insult to the Las Vegas strip. I visited Las Vegas last month (oct/10) and toured CityCenter. My initial impressions were confirmed many times over. This complex has to be one of the coldest and most uninviting places I have ever been in. In short CityCenter is an abomination and a place to avoid!
    1. 11/5/2010 4:20 PM zachary wrote:
      Bob, you have the worst taste in design. The building is modern is big and the cold affect makes it look cool.By the way how is it makes it abomination and ugly to Las Vegas. Not all of CityCenter is cold.
  • 11/5/2010 10:29 AM Jay wrote:
    MGM said earlier in the week that the Harmon would never be used as the building stands today. I would guess they would not blow it up but just tear it down piece by piece. A one story supermarket might work (Smiths or a Ralphs) but I think the CityCenter complex could use some more open space to make it and the Cosmopolitan next door more attractive and pedestrian friendly.
  • 11/6/2010 1:21 PM Randy wrote:
    Well, it’s a start, they are getting rid of this dump quicker then I hoped for. I really thought the canoe art would be the first thing removed, but a whole tower is even better. Let’s get Vegas back to what it should be, cheesy, fun, and a different experiences around every corner. In recent years Vegas has become snooty overpriced and every place is starting to have the same boring look. Nothing represents that more than City Center.
    Vegas needs to stop blaming the economy for its problems. It’s the path the town has chosen that’s hurting them. I believe Vegas of old with cheap dinners and cheap shows, and gamblers walking around with cups full of Nickels and Quarters would thrive in a poor economy. MGM and more importantly Vegas need to remember what brought people to the dessert for years, dreams of winning big not spending big. Get back to taking our money one quarter at a time and we’ll give.
    1. 11/7/2010 11:23 AM tom wrote:
      I'll have to agree when it was cheep it would drew the masses. now that there trying to cater to the big spenders it's not like it use to be. people would go to Vegas to see the sights not a group of buildings that any one can see by going downtown in their own city. Vegas is starting to get that plain Jane look bring back the themed look. I realize that the economy went south but Las Vegas needs to do something to attract more of the average folks not just the fat cats.
      1. 11/8/2010 2:39 PM zachary wrote:
        tom and randy you are right.
  • 11/7/2010 3:54 PM Kevin wrote:
    Dang, I was hoping the fontainebleau would be the next one, talk about ugly.
  • 11/7/2010 10:44 PM Phonse wrote:
    I have to agree that Vegas's woes are not just because of the recession. I mentioned before that theming of the resorts was a great part of the appeal of Vegas. The slick stylized look has become the standard for the new Vegas and yes it is impressive but I afraid not a lot of fun and has scared off a lot of people who don't have a lot of money to spend and now feel it is to expensive to even consider visiting.

I love innovative architecture and designer guest rooms but I also really enjoyed the fun sometimes tacky theming of the casinos. The powers that be caved into the, too cool for school crowd and wanna be high rollers and in only a few years, changed the Vegas vibe to one of a city that had something for everybody to one that caters to the fast crowd. Too late to turn around? Hope not, I would welcome back the pirates,the pyramids,the old volcano, slot machines that pay and the cheap buffets.

I am not suggesting to get rid of the high end properties just quit building them and get back to some fun affordable properties which offer families a place to enjoy.
  • 11/9/2010 2:02 PM Michael wrote:
    I actually like the CityCenter area. I stayed at the Vdara and found it relaxing. i don't see the place as an eyesore I can see them repurposing the harmon as it stands now into a multi level grocery store or maybe an arcade for kids. I can't wait to go back
  • 11/9/2010 4:13 PM lyndonWEEKS wrote:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was looking forward to this hotel being opened!!!!
  • 11/11/2010 10:35 AM Michael wrote:
    I would not stay at any of the towers. If they screwed up on one, why not all. When you read that rebar was being cut out of the floor to hide the errors, how many more undetected mistakes are there? In 1980 Las Vegas has had one major disaster it certianly does not need to take the chance of an other.
  • 11/13/2010 2:07 PM Dan wrote:
    Gee, the way some of you are talking, you would think that the whole strip should be torn down and rebuild to look like it did in 1975. People change. Tastes change, and places change to give the masses what they want. If it was profitable to leave it the way it was, they would have. All the big properties are standardizing because the people who are spending the money (young adults and high rollers) like it that way. If you prefer the older styles, try heading downtown or the north end of the strip.
    1. 11/14/2010 8:33 AM Mike from Canada wrote:
      I agree Dan. Perhaps the downtown hotels/casinos should market themselves as 'a touch of old Las Vegas'. With the exception of the Golden Nugget, the downtown hotels aren't as fancy, nor are they as expensive as most hotels on the Strip. If you liked the old Las Vegas, stay downtown. It's historic and nostalgic. Downtown should be marketed as a lower-price alternative to the Strip. And the Deuce is an easy and low-cost way to get to the Strip. Downtown has the potential for a revival, especially during these tough economic times.
  • 4/4/2011 8:15 PM TMAGLARES wrote:
    STAYING IN AN UNSTABLE HOTEL BECAUSE OF STRUCTURAL ERROR WOULD BE PRETTY RISKY. I UNDERSTAND THAT ANOTHER ON THE SOUTH END OF THE STRIP WAS SINKING ABOUT 6 INCHES A YEAR, BUT HEARD THEY THOUGHT THEY FIXED THAT. LAS VEGAS HAS BECOME SUCH A LOVELY PLACE TO LIVE, BUT IT WAS BUILT TOO FAST. WITH THAT COME MISTAKES WITH DECISIONS OF BUILDING PROJECTS. BE GLAD IF THEY TAKE IT DOWN IF IT IS UNSAFE. MOST OF THE BUILDINGS THERE ARE MORE FACADE THAN REALITY. CITY CENTER HAD GREAT PROMISE BEFORE AN ECONOMICAL FRACTURE HAPPENED.
  • 5/17/2012 12:25 AM Roif wrote:
    Why City Center did not have video sign? Can replace The Harmon with video sign?

Page: 1 of 1